10 Keys to Building a SOLID Information Marketing Business
If you sell information products like I do, chances are you’re on a bunch of different email lists. If you’ve been watching, the claims have been getting EVEN MORE outrageous. It seems that anyone who sells information has had to ratchet up their claims to get your/my attention.
What amazes me is how ANYONE buys or believes ANY of these offers.
Perhaps it’s the times we live in. Everyone is looking for a QUICK FIX. Like I’ve said MANY times before, people want to win the lottery. They don’t want to work at anything. They just want to be rich by swallowing a pill or buying a ticket.
If YOU have bought any of these products and been disappointed, I’m sorry. But, you’re not alone.
Here are some of what I consider to be the keys to building a solid information marketing business:
1. Figure out what you like and do well. THAT should be your niche. Isn’t it funny how people who have NO experience selling info products end up getting into the business and selling “how to make money” products? Ridiculous! Instead, take a field that you know something about and enjoy and work to make money selling info products for that niche.
Here’s an example. One of my JV Partners is a guy named Bill DeWees. Bill was downsized from a corporate job a few years back. When it happened, he decided to get into the voice over business. In the last 4 years he has built a nice “little” business for himself, doing over $100,000 yearly.
When Bill came to me, he wanted to get into selling information. He didn’t come to me and say: “what can I say that will make me LOTS of money?” No, he said to me: “How can I take what I’ve learned and make money from the knowledge I’ve gained in my field?”
2. Keep trying LOTS of different strategies. In order to build traffic to your site, you need to do a lot of things. Different things. Don’t rely on just one strategy to get you noticed in your field. Pick a few that make the most sense and try them. See what works.
3. Write! I just looked at my blog and found that I’m quickly approaching a total of 1,000 blog posts. That’s a LOT of blog posts and a LOT of writing. It would be tough to do that much writing in an area that I didn’t really enjoy.
I now don’t mind writing. It wasn’t always that way. It was really WORK for me in the beginning. I didn’t enjoy doing it. Now I do. I also realize that without writing, I would not be where I am today. If you have to, MAKE yourself write!
4. Read. In order for you to be a LEADER in YOUR field, you have to stay current. A number of years back I came up to a guy who was giving a presentation in the publishing field. I asked him about a certain book that was EXTREMELY relevant to him and his area of expertise.
He looked at me like I was the man on the moon. He had never even heard of the book. Unacceptable. You should stay current with any and everything that’s going on in your field.
5. Speak. Every chance you can, speak to groups about your area of expertise. Try and capture on video as many of those presentations as you can. This will give you a very efficient way to spread the word about what you do. In the beginning, don’t be picky. Speak to any group that will let you.
Another JV partner of mine is Avish Parashar. Along with Avish, myself and Bill O’Hanlon will be putting together a group for those who want to REALLY learn the speaking business. I suggest you check out that site: SpeakingExpert.com
6. Be Patient. As opposed to those emails that you get, the expression holds true: Rome was NOT built in a DAY! Ask yourself what regular/daily activities will you do to build a solid business. Every business has people who peddle shortcuts. Almost ALL of them won’t get you there any faster.
Michael Phelps can’t become the greatest swimmer of all time without practice and patience. The notion that you’ll get what you want overnight is nuts. Instead, swim your laps in your field. He spends 5 hours a day in the pool and has since he was a kid. If you want to be the best in your field, you need to put in the time and be patient.
7. Ask for Help. You can’t know how to do everything. And, you shouldn’t try to learn how to do everything yourself. I have a full time webmaster and a lot of other smart folks around me I can go to for help. I don’t need to learn how to do it all myself. You don’t have to either.
In the beginning, if you don’t have a lot of capital, you may have to do a lot of things yourself. BUT, as time goes on, it will make sense to give up some profit to hire people to do certain tasks. In the long run, you should only be doing what you are really good at.
Check with my buddy, Dave Hamilton, at WebMarketingMagician.com
8. Choose your mentors carefully. If you make the decision to follow the wrong people’s advice, you can get into a heap of trouble. You have lots of choices out there. Make sure and talk to some of the people who have worked with someone you’re thinking of working with. Ask questions. Be skeptical.
Understand exactly what the program is you’re signing up for before you do it. I recently heard a story from a woman who paid $25,000 and got very little that she was promised. So, be careful!
9. Select and use the right tools. The right tools will make your life INFINITELY easier! For just about any profit generating activity you’re involved with, you can find a tool to help you. I always talk about WebMarketingMagic.com. That will help you with the backbone of any web-based info marketing business.
There are some other VERY valuable tools. I did an entire post on that topic that you should look at if you’re interested.
10. Don’t do anything that will make it difficult to sleep at night. At least that’s MY strategy. My highest value in life is to stay out of jail. There are a lot of people in this business who operate on the VERY edge of the law. Not good.
My suggestion is to do things 100% clean. If you feel like there’s funny business going on, then run. That way you won’t have to worry about a knock on your door from the wrong people.
I hope this list helps. Please let me know what else you need. I’ll be happy to give you some answers right here.